Citrus County Completely Unofficial Race Report

It was another hot summer’s evening at Citrus, and the on track competition was hot as well for the Wheelman Sportsman race.

There more cars than not with some serious sheetmetal (& etc) damage, and many stories.

Below find a few…

Jason Vail–

Was there in the #407, and was fast, as per his usual.

Point and shoot. He could point the car under the guy in front of him and shoot by him by halfway down the straight.

After quickly disposing of most of the field, a car got dumped in front of him, and when it was all done he was integrated with that guy and the guy behind him jacked the rear of the car up about a foot or so in the air.

It took the wreckers a while to figure out which stuff to lift first, but eventually Jason headed to the pits, where quick “repairs” got him back on the track with no front sheet metal and the radiator was the leading edge of the car…

After smart driving and many more yellows, Jason finished third.

Phil Jacques, #77

Phil made his Florida debut at a 19 car Wheelman race. Not a creampuff field, for sure.

He learned about setup, carburetors, heat, competitors, short track driving, and how to try to get a car to turn at Citrus.

Involved in several of the many incidents, Phil kept his head and the (sort of used up) fenders on the car and after passing most of the field more than once, brought the car home in 7th place.

A great first time effort with good results.

But the real story of the night was Michael Cherry in the #24.

I heard that he races figure 8s @ Showtime, but never saw him drive before.

The invert put him up front, but generally there was a car on the outside and another one into his bumper most of the night–in faster cars.

Eventually he would hold them off and pull out to a car length or so lead–and the caution would come out again.

He held off all comers including cutting a great restart during what appeared to be the final green/white/checker start, and then…

Michael spent two laps drifting the car all the way around the turns and did some celebratory donuts on the front stretch.

Except he did not win. He finished 10th.

His facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/MichaelCherryRacing/

ps–On top of phenomenal car control, he is a very nice guy.

The Call–

I have been to short tracks all my life, and most of the time, the leader pulls the outside guy at the start. Even back in the day at the beginning of a race.

These days, it is generally understood that the leader was, um, leading before the caution and if the second place guy is so much as even he is in jeopardy of a dq. Even at the beginning of Cup events, and certainly for restarts.

During that last restart, the starter raised the green flag to drop it, and the leader (Cherry) fired. He pulled the second place guy by less than a car length.

I have seen lots of starts and it looked fine to me.

But a judgement call resulted in a win for the #59 of Jake Perkins and a tenth for Michael Cherry. Congratulations to Jake, he capitalized on the deal, took home the money and the trophy, and a win is a win.

And to whoever made that call–The tower, the flagman, the beer guy…I believe the correct Southern Saying is “Bless your little heart”.

OS,

Appreciate the help all weekend buddy. Was good to have you around. It was definitely an eventful night. I was able to drive it on the trailer at the end of the night, many others were not so lucky.

I should note I also learned that it’s time to invest in some sports glasses of some sort instead of racing in contacts lol Bounced her off the front stretch wall two laps in a row when my right contact started falling out. Lost all my depth perception for a few laps there.

Had a blast, and happy to be finally down here and racing.

I actually put my money where my mouth is :ernaehrung004:

If anyone wants to watch the in car, here it is. 07.31.2021 - CCS Wheelman Sportsman 50 - Phil Jacques #77 - YouTube

Still got a lot of learning to do driving these cars and the smaller tracks but it’s just gonna take seat time.

OS,

Appreciate the help all weekend buddy. Was good to have you around. It was definitely an eventful night. I was able to drive it on the trailer at the end of the night, many others were not so lucky.

I should note I also learned that it’s time to invest in some sports glasses of some sort instead of racing in contacts lol Bounced her off the front stretch wall two laps in a row when my right contact started falling out. Lost all my depth perception for a few laps there.

Had a blast, and happy to be finally down here and racing.

I actually put my money where my mouth is :ernaehrung004:

If anyone wants to watch the in car, here it is. 07.31.2021 - CCS Wheelman Sportsman 50 - Phil Jacques #77 - YouTube

Still got a lot of learning to do driving these cars and the smaller tracks but it’s just gonna take seat time.

[QUOTE=OldSchool+;179603]Phil Jacques, #77

Phil made his Florida debut at a 19 car Wheelman race. Not a creampuff field, for sure.

He learned about setup, carburetors, heat, competitors, short track driving, and how to try to get a car to turn at Citrus.

Involved in several of the many incidents, Phil kept his head and the (sort of used up) fenders on the car and after passing most of the field more than once, brought the car home in 7th place.

A great first time effort with good results.[/QUOTE]

As much as it sucks, it was the correct call. It’s the rule that is heavily flawed. Wheelman has a “Start Line” and if you fire before it, you are warned in the drivers meeting that there is zero tolerance and you will be put to the rear. The in car video from the 59 of Jake Perkins shows he went about a car length early. John Chance, who is the Wheelman official who made the call, was standing on the light pole mound right next to the start zone. He had the best perspective of the start and did make the right call.

I will say again however the rule is heavily flawed. The leader should always control the start and a start box is the best starting method in my eyes. Just like NASCAR and many short tracks across the country including “up north” use this method. Once you enter the “box” the leader fires first. If the leader hasn’t fired by the end of the box the starter drops the flag and anyone can start first.

Hopefully this rule gets changed. Cherry ran an outstanding race. Was he robbed? No. Was it a bad call? No. Does the rule suck? YES!

[QUOTE=OldSchool+;179605]The Call–

I have been to short tracks all my life, and most of the time, the leader pulls the outside guy at the start. Even back in the day at the beginning of a race.

These days, it is generally understood that the leader was, um, leading before the caution and if the second place guy is so much as even he is in jeopardy of a dq. Even at the beginning of Cup events, and certainly for restarts.

During that last restart, the starter raised the green flag to drop it, and the leader (Cherry) fired. He pulled the second place guy by less than a car length.

I have seen lots of starts and it looked fine to me.

But a judgement call resulted in a win for the #59 of Jake Perkins and a tenth for Michael Cherry. Congratulations to Jake, he capitalized on the deal, took home the money and the trophy, and a win is a win.

And to whoever made that call–The tower, the flagman, the beer guy…I believe the correct Southern Saying is “Bless your little heart”.[/QUOTE]

"Wheelman has a “Start Line” and if you fire before it, you are warned in the drivers meeting that there is zero tolerance and you will be put to the rear. The in car video from the 59 of Jake Perkins shows [Michael] went about a car length early. "–PJ

So…maybe we don’t need a flagman at all to start/restart the race. Seems like, leader fires in the box and the rest of the field follows.

Otherwise…since the beginning of time (at least, my considerable time), the drivers watch for the flag and that is exactly what Cherry asserted that he did.

As they say, "that’s racin’ ". Funny, they always say that when it sucks.

[QUOTE=OldSchool+;179610]"Wheelman has a “Start Line” and if you fire before it, you are warned in the drivers meeting that there is zero tolerance and you will be put to the rear. The in car video from the 59 of Jake Perkins shows [Michael] went about a car length early. "–PJ

So…maybe we don’t need a flagman at all to start/restart the race. Seems like, leader fires in the box and the rest of the field follows.

Otherwise…since the beginning of time (at least, my considerable time), the drivers watch for the flag and that is exactly what Cherry asserted that he did.

As they say, "that’s racin’ ". Funny, they always say that when it sucks.[/QUOTE]

Even with a “Start Box” or “Zone” the rules I have personally always raced under are as follows.

There is a box that starts with a painted white line and ends with a white line. Once you cross the white line, the leader controls the start. The flagger will only drop the flag once the leader fires OR reaches the second line.

To me, this is the best way to do it. Obviously you are over-exaggerating a tad by saying we don’t need a flagman.

I do not agree with the current Wheelman start rule, but it’s their playground and it’s a rule we must all adhere to. I’m not quite to where I need to worry about it but if I hit the invert next time like Cherry did, maybe I will.

As I mentioned, they clearly state in the drivers meeting that if you jump, you go to the rear. Personally I would like to see a single warning. If you jump, re rack them and try again. If you jump again on that restart or any other time in the race following your warning, you get sent to the tail.

These cars are interesting, it’s a little difficult to judge where the nose is. The 21 cars found that out this weekend (my baddddddd) but he went soon enough that he should have seen the line. I will say however, the tracks (everywhere not just picking on Citrus) should make sure those lines are clearly visible each and every week. 5 minutes with a paint roller and a can of paint is not too much to ask in my eyes.

I hope this rule is reconsidered in the future, but we are all in the same boat here. It’s the same rule for everyone, no matter if it’s a line or a box.