Completely Unofficial Recap--New Smyrna 9/25/21 Sportsman Twin 25s

There was a full moon that rose over the turn three wall on Saturday night, and as is often the case, set the stage for an eventful evening.

Danny Frye-- After years of moving up the ladder, Danny Frye won the first Sportsman event by holding off all challengers in his spotless #12. His biggest supporter --his Father–was in attendance and savored the victory as well. Well deserved.

Matthew Green–Got crowded into the frontstretch wall in the first feature. After getting several feet in the air and coming down in a large shower of sparks, I thought the car was done for the night. But surprisingly, they changed the right front, hit it with a hammer a few times, and got him out without losing a lap.
Green is always aggressive, but pretty much drove like a man possessed and hit everything that became close enough to hit, driving back to a surprising second place finish.
Several hours break before the second feature did not change his style much and again he was on the attack. In fact, while getting under Tyler Scofield, the two got hung up together coming out of turn four and headed directly into the inside wall. Again, surprisingly, Green survived to eventually finish fourth in the second event. Clearly, he ain’t skeerd.

Tyler Scofield–As mentioned, after a reasonably hard impact with the inside wall, Scofield came back with heavily compromised front aero, but still had a dominant car, and went on to win the second feature convincingly. Again, well deserved.

2 Likes

Phil Jaques–Phil Jacques hit the New Smyrna highbanks in serious fashion on Saturday night. After dialing the car in during the afternoon baking sun largely by himself, he found the handling to be a little tight getting into the turns. It was an eventful night for sure. Phil ran close to the front most of the night, and that was where the action was. In feature one, he held off a fast Earl Beckner by blocking a (clean) low side move in the closing laps and brought the car home in fourth.
And in feature two, Phil was close to the Matthew Green/Tyler Scofield action mentioned above. TOO CLOSE in fact to avoid their cross-the-track-leaving-nowhere-to-go crash. But between getting together at the outside wall and getting together again at the inside wall, a Phil Jacques sized hole temporarily opened up and though it he went. An amazing piece of driving, leaving no mark on the car.
Phil came home in fifth in the second feature. Another stout showing from Mr Jacques.

JT Tippins–JT has been a longtime racer at New Smyrna and is known as an all around good guy. Doing what he loves, JT had what appears to have been a serious health issue in the car just before the second feature. He is continuing to receive the best in care but his recovery period is not known at this time. Please join me in daily prayers for JT and his family.

3 Likes

New forum, new name. :man_shrugging:

OldSchool! I appreciate your help and presence at the track as always my friend. It was good to have you there. It was definitely an outstanding night. Still getting comfortable but man, we aren’t far off. 2022 is definitely going to be fun!

You pretty much summed up the night.

A number of years ago, I was a shit talking loud mouth that had opinions and everyone told me to put my money where my mouth is and come race here.

Here I am. :sunglasses:

Here are the links to both features from Saturday. Had a few camera difficulties but no biggie. Enjoy and thanks again!

Race 1: 09.25.2021 - NSS Sportsman Twin 25's RACE 1 - Phil Jacques #77 - YouTube

Race 2: 09.25.2021 - NSS Sportsman Twin 25's RACE 2 - Phil Jacques #77 - YouTube

2 Likes

I got some good News on JT the other night. He is steadily getting better and is hoping to go home soon. His recovery is nothing short of miraculous. The safety team that night saved his life!

3 Likes