Some old NASCAR trivia

John Delphus McDuffie

As for the Sullivan deal… No it wasn’t the same year. The win came in, I believe 1985, while the inaugural Brickyard race was in 1994.

What is Bill Elliott’s middle name?

William “Clyde” Elliott

More Trivia

How well do you know your NASCAR? Let’s find out!!

1 - What is the highest number of Winston Cup races Dale Earnhardt Sr. has won in a season?
2 - Which driver gave Richard Childress his first Winston Cup victory as a car owner?
3 - Who was the first Winston Cup champion to have a college degree?
4 - Which Winston Cup driver considered pursuing a career as a pro golfer?
5 - Who sponsored Terry Labonte’s Chevrolet when he won his very first Winston Cup title?

1. Ricky Rudd
  2. Dale Jarrett
  3. Piedmont Airlines. Ironically that was the same sponsor as Childress/Rudd

My mistake. The Jarrett answer applies to question 4, not 3.

A guess on #4 would be Alan Kulwicki

[QUOTE=Frasson118;125622]2) Ricky Rudd
3) Dale Jarrett
5) Piedmont Airlines. Ironically that was the same sponsor as Childress/Rudd[/QUOTE]

Your right on all three… I was not aware of the Piedmont Airlines connection between Terry Labonte and Ricky Rudd though.:sprachlos020:

Right again!! I really think Kulwicki would have had more than one championship to his credit had he not been killed in that plane crash. What a great racer taken too soon. I’ll never forget how at the last race at Atlanta he calculated exactly how many laps he had to lead the race for Bill Elliott not to be able to catch him. What a great race that was!!! Too bad the races now days aren’t that exciting. The races on Sunday afternoon now usually put me to sleep on the couch.

I was at that race

Davey Allison (who also would have won a cup or two ) was leading the points at the start of the race and was taken out early in a crash attributed to “Swervin” Irvan . Kyle Petty and Harry Gant were also both still mathmatically in the race for the title , but had bad runs that day . Which left it up to Bill and Alan . Kulwicki needed to pit , but he and his crew chief figured out if they stayed out a few extra laps and led the most laps they wouldn’t have to beat Bill to win the title .

Good times , when camping at the track was free if you had race tickets .

[QUOTE=BVS40FL;125631]Davey Allison (who also would have won a cup or two ) was leading the points at the start of the race and was taken out early in a crash attributed to “Swervin” Irvan . Kyle Petty and Harry Gant were also both still mathmatically in the race for the title , but had bad runs that day . Which left it up to Bill and Alan . Kulwicki needed to pit , but he and his crew chief figured out if they stayed out a few extra laps and led the most laps they wouldn’t have to beat Bill to win the title .

Good times , when camping at the track was free if you had race tickets .[/QUOTE]

That race had so many storylines involved in it. Besides the Cup championship on the line it was also Richard Petty’s last race and Jeff Gordon’s very first race. I recorded that race and have it on tape somewhere. If I can find it, I know what I will be doing tonight. Long live the Ford “UNDERBIRD”

[QUOTE=Jacque Debris;125620]How well do you know your NASCAR? Let’s find out!!

1 - What is the highest number of Winston Cup races Dale Earnhardt Sr. has won in a season?
2 - Which driver gave Richard Childress his first Winston Cup victory as a car owner?
3 - Who was the first Winston Cup champion to have a college degree?
4 - Which Winston Cup driver considered pursuing a career as a pro golfer?
5 - Who sponsored Terry Labonte’s Chevrolet when he won his very first Winston Cup title?[/QUOTE]

Answers:
1 - Eleven, in 1987
2 - Ricky Rudd
3 - Alan Kulwicki
4 - Dale Jarrett
5 - Piedmont Airlines

Lets give you one that you might have to do a little research on.

When Bobby Isaac decided to retire from racing on the 90th lap of the 1973 Talladega 500, saying “Something told me to quit,” who stepped in as his relief driver?:confused:

Buddy Baker… I was there that day…

Nope… I won’t give you the answer just yet, but I did a little research and this is what I found.
Buddy Baker was indeed driving the K&K Insurance Dodge in that race and in fact he finished second in the race. But Bobby Isaac was driving Bud Moore’s No. 15 Sta-Power Industries Ford in that race. I think everybody associates Bobby Isaac with the K&K Insurance Dodge. I’m not trying to prove you wrong or anything. Heck, I wouldn’t have known if I didn’t look it up myself. By the way, Bobby Isaac’s “car” finished 13th in that race 6 laps down but not with Bobby behind the wheel. I’ll give you a hint though. The relief driver was actually in the race also but retired from the race earlier with engine trouble.

I was thinking about another race… I’m pretty sure it was Coo Coo Marlin who finished up for Isaac…

You got it man! Good job:)

More trivia

Here’s a few more for you…

1 - What successful Busch Grand National Series veteran is also Teresa Earnhardt’s uncle?
2 - What driver once appeared on Hee Haw as a singer?
3 - Who gave Ernie Irvan the nickname “Swervin Irvan”?
4 - Who won NASCAR’s Heroism Award in 1964 for his efforts to rescue Fireball Roberts from his burning car?
5 - Who became the driver of the Skoal Bandit car after Harry Gant retired?

number one

Tommy Houston,#2 Marty Robbins #4 Tiny Lund

#4 Ned Jarrett
#5 Robert Pressley

oops

Guess I should open my eyes and READ.when I said number 4 was Tiny I wasn’t even reading Fireball Roberts.