Some old NASCAR trivia

Answers

Alright here are some of the answers that you got right.

1 - Tommy Houston is Teresa Earnhardt’s uncle
4 - Ned Jarrett is the one who won the heroism award
5 - Robert Pressley did take over after Harry Gant retired. Thought I might get a couple of Kenny Schrader answers on that one. You guys know your vintage NASCAR.

Still waiting for the answers for numbers 2 & 3. It was not Marty Robbins that sang on Hee Haw though. I’ll give you a couple of clues for the two remaining questions. The driver that sang on Hee Haw just recently retired from racing in the last few years and has a pretty famous last name. That should give you the answer right there.

For question No. 3, The person who gave Ernie Irvan his nickname once sponsored Ernie Irvan’s racecar.:confused:

Kyle Petty, Dale Earnhart

Yeah, you got it. Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet actually sponsored Ernie Irvan’s first Winston Cup ride.

I never knew though that Kyle Petty was on Hee Haw. Supposedly Kyle was signed to a recording contract by RCA records. Always liked Kyle Petty and all that he has done for the kids at the Victory Junction Camp. Too bad it had to come about from losing his son Adam though.:engel016:

More trivia

This thread is starting to get a little long so maybe I will start a new one after these next two questions. I’m making the questions a little harder because you guys are getting them way too fast. Or maybe it’s all with the help of Google.

1 - Along with the late Fireball Roberts, which two drivers hold the distinction of capturing the pole for the Daytona 500 three years in a row?

2 - Who hold the record for most Winston Cup races won in cars with different numbers? This driver won races with 10 different car numbers.:sprachlos020:

1-bill elliott 2- bobby allison

You have Bill Elliott right for one of the two. Who is the other one?
Bobby Allison is correct for #2.

Here’s a couple more…

1 - Who was the first driver to win a Winston Cup race in a Chevy Camaro?
(This goes back to the early 70’s)
2 - Who was the only driver to win a Winston Cup race in a Ford Mustang?
(This also goes back to the early 70’s)

I didn’t think either body style was ever legal in the ‘Grand National’ division.

However, there was both a ‘Grand American’ division, and a ‘Grand National East’ that both cars were legal in.

This one has me scratching my head.

But just for a wild guess, I’m gonna go with Tiny Lund in the Camaro, and Buck Baker in the Mustang.

[QUOTE=Frasson118;125878]I didn’t think either body style was ever legal in the ‘Grand National’ division.

However, there was both a ‘Grand American’ division, and a ‘Grand National East’ that both cars were legal in.

This one has me scratching my head.

But just for a wild guess, I’m gonna go with Tiny Lund in the Camaro, and Buck Baker in the Mustang.[/QUOTE]

You’re right about Tiny lund in the Camaro. But it wasn’t Buck Baker in the Mustang. According to my handy-dandy trivia book (which I wouldn’t believe as the gospel truth) Tiny Lund won in a Camaro on August 28th, 1971 at Hickory Speedway. The book just says Winston Cup race. Was the “Grand American” and the “Grand National East” cars considered the elite division in NASCAR back then?
I’ll wait a little bit before I give you the answer for the other one. I’ll see if anybody else can come up with the answer.I never thought either one was was legal either. Maybe this book is gonna make me look stupid.:blink:

scratching too

I remember the old g-a division as well but you said grand national.and there were a few rare exceptions to the rules such as the year talledega opened and the drivers boycotted the race.(but i know richard brickhouse won that race in a winged daytona.)so that being said how about parnelli jones in a mustang at riverside and buck baker in a camaro.?

no

The grand american division replaced the old late model sportsman and evolved into the present day nationwide series.the gn east series was much the same as the gn west series meant to give a vehicle for guys to compete prior to louden,dover pheonix california being built.

A

The Grand American division (formerly NASCAR Sportsman) morphed into the NASCAR Late Model Sportsman Series (Venturas, Skylarks and Novas!) and later the Busch Grand National Division, and yes, now the Nationwide (ugh) Series. The Winston West series was a division that ran their own schedule but were also used to fill out the field on NASCAR’s Cup Series (call it whatever you want) western swing to tracks like Ontario, Riverside, Sears Point and Texas World Speedway. Today it still exists as the K & N West Series. The NASCAR North Series (Later Busch North Series)was similar to the WW Series except they were used fill the fields (and dominate the races sometimes even) at Busch Grand National races in the northeast at tracks like Oxford, New Hampshire, Dover and Watkins Glen. The champion or next top points man present were also guaranteed provisionals in the Goody’s 300(DRIVE4COPD 300? WTF?) the February after the Busch North season at Daytona. The Busch North Series exists today as the K & N East Series but has none of the old salty dogs like Dave Dion, Dale Shaw, Dick McCabe, Robbie Crouch, and Stub Fadden that traveled this Series for years. Eddie MacDonald is the last holdover from the “old New England days” in this Series which is now a developmental Series for the Cup teams. I guess I’m officially old because I know this sh*t. :confused:

It’s been a long time since I’ve read up on the old GN East Division. In checking out the history, I stumbled across the other correct answer.

Bobby Allison was the winner in a Mustang. It was explained that the Detroit money was drying up for the Grand Nationals, and the small track events had trouble bringing a decent field. So they opened up the rule books to allow the Grand American cars to compete.

For several years, those wins were omitted from each drivers win total (Allison & Tiny Lund) because they were won with Grand Am spec’s, not Grand National. Eventually, each win was added to the “official” win totals for each.

i thought about bobby allison

As he used to swing up int0 the northeast and the midwest alot.a lot of times i n a #49 mustang.quite the car builder, he sold many of his chassis to guys u p north.

[QUOTE=Frasson118;125905]It’s been a long time since I’ve read up on the old GN East Division. In checking out the history, I stumbled across the other correct answer.

Bobby Allison was the winner in a Mustang. It was explained that the Detroit money was drying up for the Grand Nationals, and the small track events had trouble bringing a decent field. So they opened up the rule books to allow the Grand American cars to compete.

For several years, those wins were omitted from each drivers win total (Allison & Tiny Lund) because they were won with Grand Am spec’s, not Grand National. Eventually, each win was added to the “official” win totals for each.[/QUOTE]

Yeah…you got it. according to the book Bobby Allison drove the Mustang to victory on August 6th, 1971 at Bowman Gray Stadium in Winston-Salem NC.:slight_smile:

NASCAR record book trivia

For the next three questions lets go to the NASCAR record book…

1 - Who is the only driver to win 11 consecutive poles at one racetrack. Hint: it was at Charlotte Motor Speedway?

2 - Who is the only driver to win the Winston Cup championship the year after being named the series’ Rookie of the Year?

3 - What is the highest number of cars ever to run in a Winston Cup race?

4 - Who is the only driver to win the Daytona 500 without changing tires?
(I’m not sure if I believe this one, but supposedly it’s in the record book):dry:

1 David Pearson
2 Dale Earnhardt
3 83

Gotta Jump in on this one…

1. David Pearson won the pole in every race at Charlotte Motor Speedway from the 1973 National 500 to the 1978 National 500… all with the Wood Brothers… He ran the Woods’ Mercury in 13 races at Charlotte and started either first or second in every race… In 46 starts at CMS, Pearson’s average starting spot was 6.4…

2. That one is easy… Dale Earnhardt…

3. The most cars to start a NASCAR Cup race is 82 - Darlington Southern 500 in 1951… The most cars to start any NASCAR race was 136 in the 1953 Daytona Beach Modified race.

4. Tiny Lund won the 1963 Daytona 500 and never changed tires… By drafting other cars, his Wood Brothers team made one less pit stop than everybody else and that is how he won the race…

[QUOTE=ancrdave;125927]Gotta Jump in on this one…

1. David Pearson won the pole in every race at Charlotte Motor Speedway from the 1973 National 500 to the 1978 National 500… all with the Wood Brothers… He ran the Woods’ Mercury in 13 races at Charlotte and started either first or second in every race… In 46 starts at CMS, Pearson’s average starting spot was 6.4…

2. That one is easy… Dale Earnhardt…

3. The most cars to start a NASCAR Cup race is 82 - Darlington Southern 500 in 1951… The most cars to start any NASCAR race was 136 in the 1953 Daytona Beach Modified race.

4. Tiny Lund won the 1963 Daytona 500 and never changed tires… By drafting other cars, his Wood Brothers team made one less pit stop than everybody else and that is how he won the race…[/QUOTE]

Ancrdave… You got them all exactly right… I guess I’ll have to raise these questions up a couple of notches. Alright, here it goes…

1 - I’m thinking of a number between one and a thousand… what number is it? You’ve got 999 chances of getting this one wrong. HA-HA (just kidding) :aetsch013:

More trivia

Alright lets get serious here again… Here’s a few more…

1 - What was used as the pace car for the very first Daytona 500?
2 - How many cars showed up to vie for one of the 43 starting positions for the inagural Brickyard 400?
3 - Who built the engine with which Richard Petty won his 200th race?
4 - Who is the imaginary person that Darrell Waltrip has said was responsible for so many cautions on the racetrack? HA-HA

Here’s one for you… One NASCAR Cup race saw four siblings run in the same event… Where was it and what year, plus who were the drivers?