Some old NASCAR trivia

I asked the question earlier: Since 1911 only two drivers have stopped a perfectly good race car during the running of the Indianapolis 500, got out and assisted a driver involved in a crash… Who were they? Hint: one is still alive today, the other died in a late-1950s crash…

Answer: Ed Elisian & Gary Bettenhausen

Another question: Bob Fish of Daytona Beach used racing to promote his “Fish Carburetor.” The original design was called the M-1… His race cars all carried the “M” on them and he ran as many as five cars in a race on Daytona Beach running #s M-1 through M-5, mostly in the Modified & Sportsman races… So… what made the Fish Carburetor different from other carburetors?

The Wallace family ?

Most of the Wallace’s weren’t even born yet…

Can’t tell the year or track, but I’m guessing the Flock family. Bob, Tim, Fonty… and their SISTER whose name I don’t recall.

Unless you consider Jocko Flocko part of the ‘family’.

You are right Jerry… It was the First NASCAR Strictly Stock (now Sprint Cup) race on the Daytona Beach-Road Course in 1949… Bob, Fonty and Tim Flock were in that race as was their sister Ethel (Flock) Mobley… Tim Flock finished second and Ethel was 11th beating both Fonty and Bob…

Here’s another bit of trivia… Since it opened in 1950, the Sebring International Raceway has hosted just one stock car-only race… It was not sanctioned… What was the year and who won?

Joe Nemechek won a USA Late Model Series race there in about '89.

Actually, a bunch of us ran stock cars there in 2002, including SLM, trucks and mod minis.

Maybe the question is about a major stock car race.

Major 250 km race… The others were either Fl Pro or USA-sanctioned… This race was in the 1960s…

I know they were alot more fuel efficient than the other carburetors being used at that time. Not sure why though. Wasn’t one of the drivers (not sure who) disqualified from one of the races for using the fish carburetor? I guess they thought he was cheating because he got such great gas mileage.

Here’s the skinny on the Fish carb…

The M-1 had 17 parts, only three of which were moving parts.

Using high fuel metering differential pressure to produce perfect distribution, the carburetor was unaffected by the sway of the road, stopping and starting, hard turns and bumpy highways. The high mileage, stall-proof carburetor had 100% combustion, faster acceleration, higher top speeds and smoother operation.

The M-1 Carburetor was suitable for just about any vehicle, from small sport cars to family cars, buses, trucks and marine engines.

These assertions were followed by several testimonials from M-1 owners who bragged that they got 35-38 mpg, and required virtually no maintenance.

The main reason racers liked it was because their cars would no longer “bog down” in tight corners, plus the quick acceleration…

We have one of the original models on display here at the Archives…

Fish carb.

I saw a fish carb. sponsored car at DIS in 1959, in the Modified race, I think it was a '55 ford with a 430 Lincoln power, there was also another '55 ford, who was it?

Fireball Roberts won the pole in the #M-3 Ray Fox/Fish Carburetor 1956 Ford but dropped out… Banjo Matthews won the race in another 1956 Ford #49

[QUOTE=Jacque Debris;125949]Alright lets get serious here again… Here’s a few more…

1 - What was used as the pace car for the very first Daytona 500?
2 - How many cars showed up to vie for one of the 43 starting positions for the inagural Brickyard 400?
3 - Who built the engine with which Richard Petty won his 200th race?
4 - Who is the imaginary person that Darrell Waltrip has said was responsible for so many cautions on the racetrack? HA-HA[/QUOTE]

Here are the answers to the questions above…

1 - Pontiac Bonneville convertible
2 - 84
3 - Robert Yates (never knew he built motors for GM Products) Richard Petty won it in a Pontiac.
4 - Yours truly, Jacque Debris. He always blamed it on the myterious Canadian.:ohmy:

NASCAR legends trivia

Here’s a little bit of trivia for some of you old-school NASCAR fans.

1 - Which two drivers were banned from NASCAR because of their attempts in 1961 to unionize the drivers?
2 - What former champion came out of retirement to drive in the 1976 Southern 500?
3 - Who was the first driver to win a Winston Cup race in a Nash?
4 - Richard Petty’s first NASCAR win, June 14,1959, at Atlanta’s Lakewood Speedway, was taken away after which other driver protested the race? :huh:

1- Curtis Turner was one. I’m thinking Joe Weatherly for the other.
2- David Pearson in the Hoss Ellington 1 car.
3- ???
4- His own father, Lee Petty

1. Tim Flock
  2. Curtis Turner - the only win ever for a Nash… on April Fools Day 1951… drove a Nash Ambassador to the win at Charlotte Speedway…

[QUOTE=Jacque Debris;126052]Here’s a little bit of trivia for some of you old-school NASCAR fans.

1 - Which two drivers were banned from NASCAR because of their attempts in 1961 to unionize the drivers?
2 - What former champion came out of retirement to drive in the 1976 Southern 500?
3 - Who was the first driver to win a Winston Cup race in a Nash?
4 - Richard Petty’s first NASCAR win, June 14,1959, at Atlanta’s Lakewood Speedway, was taken away after which other driver protested the race? :huh:[/QUOTE]

You guys have three out of the four right…

1 - It was Curtis Turner and Tim Flock
2 - It wasn’t David Pearson… Who was it?
3 - It was Curtis Turner on April 1, 1951 at Charlotte
4 - It was Lee Petty, I guess you want to win pretty bad when you protest your own son. I guess when your racing, family goes out the window.:auto003:

Another try on the Southern 500.

I seem to recall Buck Baker running a race LONG after he retired. This might have been it.